On-Demand Continuing Education Series: Canine Epilepsy
Instructors: Holger Volk, DVM, PhD, PGCAP, DipECVN & Peter Dickinson, BVSc, PhD, DACVIM (Neurology)
Date: Self-study course open for enrollment
Course Open for Registration: December 21, 2021 - April 30, 2024
Self-Study CE Credit: 2 CE credit hours
Content: 2 video lecture hours & course notes provided
UC Davis SVM Employees: Special pricing available. Select SVM Employee when registering.
|REGISTRATION DEADLINE FOR COURSE: DECEMBER 31, 2022||REGISTRATION FEE|
|Registered Veterinary Technician/Veterinary Assistant/Hospital Staff||$29|
Drs. Dickinson and Volk will review new insights into canine epilepsy. Epilepsy can be defined as a brain disease, which is defined by recurrent seizure activity. Apart from seizures, dogs can experience certain comorbidities which can significantly influence the quality of life of the pet and the owner. Novel epilepsy management options to address these comorbidities will be discussed in detail.
- Understand the basic classification and underlying causes for seizures and how it impacts case management at a practitioner level.
- Recognize the more common clinical management mistakes that may result in poor seizure control.
- Develop a more global view of seizure control based on a few simple principles that can be applied in most situations.
- Appreciate the importance of clearly defining the clinical problem to manage canine epilepsy and its comorbidities appropriately.
- Appreciate the importance of comorbidities in canine epilepsy and their impact on quality of life of the pet and the owners.
- Understand the pharmacology and clinical applications of antiseizure drugs used in veterinary practice.
- Peter Dickinson, BVSc, PhD, DACVIM (Neurology)
- Holger Volk, DVM, PhD, PGCAP, DipECVN
- Self-Study Continuing Education Hours
- Once registered for an On-Demand session, you will be eligible to receive continuing education self-study hours. Please see specific sessions for additional information.
- Attendees are required to view recorded lectures. Each lecture will have a quiz associated with it, but the lecture must be viewed prior to completing the questions. The multiple-choice exam questions are comprised of 5 questions and you will receive up to 3 attempts to successfully pass.
- Attendees must obtain a score of 80% or higher in order to receive a passing grade. Upon completion, you will receive a CE certificate from the Center for Continuing Professional Education within 10 business days.
- These sessions are considered On-Demand Self-Study Continuing Education credits. Please check with your local state board regarding the maximum number of Self-Study CE credits allowable.
- After registration, you will have up to 3 months from your start date to view these sessions and complete the multiple-choice exam questions which follow each session.
- If you cancel before you log in to view the course materials on the CANVAS Platform for the first time, you will receive a refund less a $15.00 processing charge. No refunds are offered for cancellation after the first log in.
- All requests must be made in writing. Submit cancellation request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.